- Standard Equipment
- Optional Equipment
- C4.4 diesel engine
- Biodiesel capable
- Meets EPA Tier 4 Interim emission standards
- 2300 m (7,500 ft) altitude capability
- Electric priming pump
- Automatic engine speed control
- Economy and high power modes
- Two-speed travel
- Side-by-side cooling system
- Radial seal air filter
- Primary filter with water separator and water separator indicator
- Secondary filter
- Screen filter in fuel line
- Cold weather battery -25° C (-13° F)
- Jump start receptacle
- HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
- Regeneration circuit for boom and stick
- Reverse swing dampening valve
- Automatic swing parking brake
- High-performance hydraulic return filter
- Capability of installing HP stackable valve and medium and QC valve
- Capability of installing additional auxiliary pump and circuit
- Capability of installing boom lowering control device and stick lowering check valve
- Fine swing control
- Pressurized operator station with positive filtration
- Sliding upper door window (left-hand cab door)
- Glass-breaking safety hammer
- Removable lower windshield with in cab storage bracket
- Coat hook
- Beverage holder
- Literature holder
- AM/FM radio
- Radio with MP3 auxiliary audio port
- Two 12V stereo speakers
- Storage shelf suitable for lunch or toolbox
- Color LCD display with indicators, filter/fluid change, and working hour information
- Adjustable armrest
- Height adjustable joystick consoles
- Neutral lever (lock out) for all controls
- Travel control pedals with removable hand levers
- Capability of installing two additional pedals
- Two power outlets, 10 amp (total)
- Travel alarm
- Laminated glass front upper window and tempered other windows
- Grease Lubricated Track GLT2, resin seal
- Towing eye on base frame
- Swivel guard
- 2.8 mt (3.1 t)
- 80 amp alternator
- Circuit breaker
- Capability to electrically connect a beacon
- Halogen boom light (left side)
- Time delay function for boom light and cab light
- Exterior lights integrated into storage box
- Cat one key security system
- Door locks
- Cap locks on fuel and hydraulic tanks
- Lockable external tool/storage box
- Signaling/warning horn
- Secondary engine shutoff switch
- Openable skylight for emergency exit
- Rearview camera-ready
- Quick drains, engine and hydraulic oil
- HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
- Control pattern quick-changer, two way
- Auxiliary hydraulics
- Boom and stick lines
- High-pressure line
- Medium-pressure line
- Cat quick coupler line - high-pressure capable
- Boom lowering and stick lowering control device
- Cat Bio hydraulic oil
- Cab hatch emergency exit
- Seat, high-back air suspension with heater and cooling
- Seat, high-back air suspension with heater
- Seat, high-back mechanical suspension
- Windshield wiper, lower with washer
- Air pre-filter
- Left foot switch
- Left pedal
- Straight travel pedal
- Rain protector
- Cab mirror
- 500 mm (20") triple grouser shoes
- 600 mm (24") triple grouser shoes
- 700 mm (28") triple grouser shoes
- Full-length track guiding guard
- Guard, heavy-duty bottom
- Center track guiding guard
- Segmented (2 piece) track guiding guard
- FRONT LINKAGE
- Quick coupler
- Bucket linkage, without lifting eye
- 5.1 m (16'9") reach boom
- 2.6 m (8'6") stick
- 2.9 m (9'6") stick
- 3.1 m (10'2") stick
- 3.1 m (10'2") thumb-ready stick
- Working lights, cab mounted with time delay
- HID lights, cab mounted with time delay
- Halogen boom lights (right side)
- FOGS, bolt-on
- Side steel bumper
- Guard rail
- Guard, cab front, mesh
- Guard, vandalism
- Rearview camera
- Cat Grade Control Depth and Slope
- Product Link
Service Refill Capacities
Reduced emissions, economical and reliable performance
The Cat C4.4 ACERT engine delivers the same level of performance using significantly less fuel than the previous series engine.
Equipped to meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Interim emission standards, the 316E’s C4.4 ACERT engine features an aftertreatment regeneration solution that ensures the machine works as normal with no operator intervention needed. The regeneration process automatically starts once the filtering system detects soot buildup - with no interruption to machine performance or the work process.
The C4.4 ACERT engine is equipped with an electronic-controlled high-pressure fuel system that includes an electric priming pump and three-layer fuel hoses to allow the use of biodiesel (meeting ASTM 6751 or EN 14214) up to B20 (biodiesel 20% mixture).
The cooling system features an air-to-air aftercooler and A/C condenser that tilt up and swing out of the way for easy servicing.
The 316E features speed control to maximize performance while minimizing fuel consumption. Two different power modes are offered: high power mode when you need maximum production; economy mode when you need performance with the lowest fuel consumption. The operator can easily change between modes through the console switch panel to meet the needs for the job at hand - all to help manage and conserve fuel.
Comfort and convenience to keep people productive
The seat range includes air suspension, heated, and air cooled options. All seats include a reclining back, upper and lower seat slide adjustments, and height and tilt angle adjustments to meet operator needs for comfort and productivity.
The right and left joystick consoles can be adjusted to meet individual preferences, improving operator comfort and productivity during the course of a day. With the touch of a button, one-touch idle reduces engine speed to help save fuel; touch it again or move the joystick and the machine returns to normal operating level.
The 316E is equipped with a 7" LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor (1) that’s 40% bigger than the previous model’s with higher resolution for better visibility. In addition to an improved keypad and added functionality, it’s programmable to provide information in a choice of 44 languages to support today’s diverse workforce. An “Engine Shutdown Setting” accessible through the monitor allows owners and operators to specify how long the machine should idle before shutting down the engine, which can save significant amounts of fuel. The image of the rearview camera is displayed directly on the monitor, which will help keep you focused on the job at hand.
Two 12-volt power supply sockets are located near key storage areas for charging electronic devices such as an MP3 player and cell phone.
Storage spaces are located in the front, rear, and side consoles. A dedicated space near the auxiliary power supply holds MP3 players and cell phones. The drink holder accommodates large mugs with handles, and a shelf behind the seat stores large lunch or toolboxes.
The climate control system features five air outlets with positive filtered ventilation, which makes working in the heat and cold much more pleasant.
Power to move more dirt, rock, and debris with speed and precision
Hydraulic horsepower is the actual machine power available to do work through implements and work tools. It’s much more than just the engine power under the hood - it’s a core strength that differentiates Cat machines from other brands.
The 316E uses a high-pressure system to tackle the toughest of work in short order. The machine features a highly efficient and simple main control valve to improve fuel consumption; it also allows for greater tool versatility.
The 316E regenerates the flow of oil from the head end of the boom cylinder to the rod end of the boom cylinder during a boom down operation to save energy, which helps improve fuel efficiency. It is optimized for any dial speed setting being used by the operator, which results in less pressure loss for higher controllability, more productivity, and lower operating costs.
Structures & Undercarriage
Built to work in rugged environments
The upper frame includes reinforced mountings to support the Roll-Over Protective Structure (ROPS) cab; the lower frame is reinforced to increase component durability.
Long undercarriage supports various work applications. The track rollers are a double solid-pin-type design to improve reliability compared to the single solid-pin-type design. A segmented two-piece guiding guard is now offered to help maintain track alignment and improve performance in multiple applications.
Built with an integrated rearview camera housing, the counterweight comes with integrated links to enable easy removal for maintenance or shipping.
Made for high stress and long service life
The 316E is offered with a reach boom and three stick configurations: R3.1 m (10'2"), R2.9 m (9'6"), and R2.6 m (8'6"). Also, a new thumb-ready stick with brackets to attach a Cat thumb on the machine is an available option. Each boom and stick is built with internal baffle plates for added durability, and each undergoes ultrasound inspection to ensure weld quality and reliability. Reach configuration balances digging force and bucket capacity. It covers all applications this size of machine was designed to take on such as digging, loading, trenching, and working with hydraulic tools. Large box-section structures with thick, multi-plate fabrications, castings, and forgings are used in high-stress areas such as the boom nose, boom foot, boom cylinder, and stick foot to improve durability. Also, the front linkage pins’ inner bearing surfaces are welded with a self-lubricated bearing used to extend service intervals and increase uptime.
You can dig, hammer, rip, and cut with confidence.
You can extend the versatility and performance of your machine with the full lineup of Cat work tools. Each tool equips your machine to perform many different tasks found at a variety of job sites.
Imagine the productivity you’ll achieve with a quick coupler. Combine a robust coupler with a common work tool inventory that can be shared between same size machines and you’ll get performance and flexibility on every job. The Cat Center‑Lock™ pin grabber coupler features a patented locking system and highly visible lock. You can clearly see when the coupler is engaged or disengaged from the attachment.
No matter your specialty, Caterpillar provides tools that are perfectly matched to get the most out of your Cat machine - quickly and efficiently. Field-installed hydraulic kits are uniquely designed to integrate any Cat work tool with your 316E.
Cat buckets are designed to fill efficiently so you notice a fast, smooth cycle, which means high productivity each time you dig. Wear characteristics of general duty, heavy duty, and severe duty buckets give you solid performance in a wide variety of material abrasions. Ditch cleaning and other specialty buckets are available when needed.
Solutions that make work easier and more efficient
This optional system combines traditional machine control and guidance with standard factory-installed and calibrated components, making the system ready to go to work the moment it leaves the factory. The system utilizes internal front linkage sensors - well protected from the harsh working environment - to give operators real-time bucket tip position information through the cab monitor (1), which minimizes the need and cost for traditional grade checking and enhances job site safety. It also helps the operator complete jobs in fewer cycles, which means less fuel use. Cat dealers can upgrade the system to full three-dimensional control by adding proven Cat AccuGrade™ positioning technologies, including GPS and Universal Total Station (UTS).
This optional system is deeply integrated into the machine monitoring system (2 and 3) and is designed to help customers improve their overall fleet management effectiveness. Events and diagnostic codes as well as hours, fuel consumption, idle time, machine location, and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application called VisionLink™, which uses powerful tools to communicate to users and dealers.
Fast, easy and safe access built in
Wide service doors (1) feature sturdier hinges and latches and a new screen design to help prevent debris entry; a one-piece hood (2) provides easier access to the engine and cooling compartments.
The radiator (3), pump, and air cleaner compartments provide easy access to major components. The fresh air filter is located on the side of the cab to make it easy to reach and replace as needed.
The water separator with water level sensor has a primary fuel filter element located in the pump compartment near ground level; the electric priming pump is mounted before the primary filter base and is easy to service compared to a traditional hand-priming pump. The fuel tank features a remote drain cock located in the pump compartment to make it easy to remove water and sediment during maintenance. The engine oil check gauge is situated in front of the engine compartment for easy access, and a uniquely designed drain cock helps prevent spills.
Features to help protect people
The ROPS-certified cab (1) allows an Operator Protective Guard (OPG) to be bolted directly to it.
Improved sealing and cab roof lining lower noise levels inside the cab significantly during machine operation.
The surface of the upper structure and the top of the storage box area (2) are covered with anti-skid plates to help prevent service personnel and operators from slipping during maintenance.
Steps on the track frame and storage box along with extended hand (3) and guard rails to the upper deck enable operators to securely work on the machine.
When the light switch is on, cab and boom lights will illuminate to enhance visibility after the engine start key has been turned off.
Halogen lights are standard, but they can be upgraded to HID for greater visibility.
The 70/30 split configuration features an upper window equipped with handles on the top and both sides so the operator can slide it to store in the ceiling. The lower window is removable and can be stored on the left wall of the cab shell. The large skylight provides great overhead visibility, excellent natural lighting, and good ventilation. The skylight can be opened completely to become an emergency exit.
A lower wiper is available as an option to maximize visibility in poor weather conditions. The lower wiper motor is integrated to the upper frame so it doesn’t obstruct the forward view.
The machine features a buzzer in the monitor that tells customers when critical events like plugged filters or low hydraulic pressure need to be immediately addressed.
An optional rearview camera is housed in the counterweight (4). The image projects through the cab monitor to give the operator a clear view of what is behind the machine.
Complete Customer Care
Service you can count on
Cat dealers utilize a worldwide parts network to maximize your machines’ uptime. Plus they can help you save money with Cat remanufactured components.
What are the job requirements and machine attachments? What production is needed? Your Cat dealer can provide recommendations to help you make the right machine choices.
Consider financing options and day-to-day operating costs. Look at dealer services that can be included in the machine’s cost to yield lower owning and operating costs over time.
Cat dealers offer a variety of customer support agreements and work with you to develop a plan to meet your specific needs. These plans can cover the entire machine, including attachments, to help protect your investment.
Improving operating techniques can boost your profits. Your Cat dealer has videos, literature, and other ideas to help you increase productivity. Caterpillar also offers simulators and certified operator training to help maximize the return on your investment.
Repair, rebuild, or replace? Your Cat dealer can help you evaluate the cost involved so you can make the best choice for your business.
Generations ahead in every way
- The C4.4 ACERT engine, along with the Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM), meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Interim emission standards.
- Even when operating in high horsepower and high production applications, the 316E performs a similar amount of work while burning up to 8% less fuel than the previous D Series model. This means more efficiency, less resources consumed, and fewer emissions.
- The 316E has the flexibility of running on either ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less or biodiesel (B20) fuel blended with ULSD that meets ASTM 6751 or EN 14214 standards.
- An overfill indicator rises when the fuel tank is full to help service technicians avoid spilling.
- The QuickEvac™ option ensures fast, easy, and secure changing of engine and hydraulic oil.
- The 316E is built to be rebuilt with major structures and components capable of being remanufactured to reduce waste and replacement costs.
- An efficient engine oil filter eliminates the need for painted metal cans and aluminum top plates. The cartridge-style spin-on housing enables the internal filter to be separated and replaced; the used internal element can be incinerated to help reduce waste.
- The 316E is an efficient, productive machine that’s designed to conserve our natural resources for generations ahead.
Download Specalog Here